In 1933 George Henry Hollingbery founded Comet Battery Store in Dock Street, Hull employing two people who charged batteries for customers wireless sets. During the late 1930’s the business grew as it moved into radio rentals and was maintained over subsequent years.
Following his demise in 1958, George was succeeded by his son Michael John Hollingbery. Growth of the business continued apace with the first COMET superstore opened in Hull in 1968.
After acquisition of the business by British retailer, Kingfisher, the founding family shareholders in COMET were instrumental in signing a Trust Deed on the 12th September 1985 establishing The Hull and East Riding Charitable Trust.